Since I knew that doing that will cause me to lose track of what order I added my userpics, I kept a list of my userpics in my profile in order added - but I'm starting to run out of room on my profile now, so I moved it here and reformatted it into a table that hopefully looks better than the old layout.
Note that this excludes the following:
- Old versions of these userpics
- Alternate versions of some of these that I made to protest SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/etc. a few years ago
( Here they are! )
Although the whole point of these multiple LJ-cuts is for ease of navigation (i.e. if I reference a Matt1993ism in the definition of a Matt1993ism in a different section, I'd link to the proper section), I haven't had the time to actually go through and add all these links, so stay tuned for that. I also thought about adding artwork for certain entries *cough*/crazymegavideo/*cough*, so stay tuned for that too. :)
As I said in the old glossary, if you spot a Matt1993ism I used that I haven't defined here, or if FoxReplace messes up the "pucker up because it's time for lunch" entry again, etc., please let me know :)
EDIT: Added some more Matt1993isms and tags, but still need to add the links and artwork. I'm also pretty sure there was another Matt1993ism that I still forgot to add...
( /-7 ) ( A ) ( B ) ( Ca-Ch ) ( Co-Cr ) ( D-E ) ( F-G ) ( H ) ( I-K ) ( L-M ) ( N ) ( O ) ( Pi-Pro ) ( Prt-Pu ) ( Q-R ) ( S-T ) ( U-W ) ( Y ) ( Abbreviations )
That's kind of funny, but it's also a testament to how so many things have in fact disappeared from the Internet in the last few years. :( But still kind of funny. :)
HA! I bet I tricked you into thinking there was a broken image/video in this entry just now! >:)
When did the rest of you join LJ or DW? I want to see if there's any other crazy coincidences like that. :)
...Wait. I had userpics in the body of an entry, and they still had http in the URL, and they were showing up anyway?!?!
*checks the "list of userpics in order added post" where all the images were broken for a while because they had http in the URL, and indeed, now they're showing up again too*
YAY!! At some point LiveJournal finally fixed the issue of userpics not showing up in the body of entries, and now I don't have to edit thousands of entries just to make entries that have userpics in the body look presentable!! THANK YOU!!
*continues looking through old entries anyway, because there are still other things in them I want to fix, especially on DW, and I figure I still might as well do that now since I already have the motivation... but at least it's slightly less hopeless now!*
And yet it somehow took me twelve years or so to realize that "Chip Shot Challenge" (the name of one of the minigames in Mario Party 3) is likely a reference to Chip's Challenge?! I literally just realized it yesterday! Wow.
Has that ever happened to you where some game/movie/book/show/song/etc. you like makes a reference to another game/movie/whatever you like and you don't realize it until years after you first liked both? :)
In completely unrelated news, now I've fixed 218 out of 1,193 entries. At the rate I'm going, I won't have them all fixed until about November 28. And by then something else will have probably gone wrong and I'll have to spend three months fixing something else on LJ and/or DW. :(
If you do know what I'm talking about, you're probably thinking: "Waaait a minute, there's still something here that looks different from what I remember... Sure, the background went back to yellow or other yellow and Anya, Noma, Ricky, and blushy guy went back to not being as badly-drawn, but something is-- Wait, are these MY thoughts that are showing up in this entry?! Is this dork's journal reading my mind?!? I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100. It's 47. Okay, that's just scary. I'd better not start thinking about my darkest secret..."
And to all that, I say:
1) Um, the "blushy guy" is me. And the other three are Enya, Roma, and Nicky - it says so right there on the userpic. Speaking of which...
2) Yes, remember how I asked whether or not some of my userpics are legible enough and then tried to make more legible versions of some of them? But never got around to uploading those as userpics?
No, of course you don't remember, because that was years before I met at least half of you, and it's been so long that those of you who were around for it probably forgot all about it. So to refresh your memory:
Anyway... I finally got around to that - or at least, I hope I updated all the ones I meant to! Four or three years later. I still haven't even updated my sticky "list of userpics in order added" post to include these updated versions OR the 2009-style versions (retroactive or not) - or any versions of my userpics besides "what they normally looked like from late 2009 to the first half of 2017". And due to a glitch on LJ, now not even those will show up in that entry again until I edit all of the image URLs to have "https://" instead of "http://" :( *
I guess that makes me the Enya of userpic updating... But hey, I finally finished one thing I started, at least! :)
3) Don't worry, your darkest secret is safe with me. I make no guarantees about your second-darkest secret though! :P
Now to go edit every entry and comment I ever made to fix all the userpics that are broken now. :(
*They need to call HTTPS something different - I keep wanting to use that as the plural of "http". "I need to change all the https to https!" ;)
|You Are Cheerful and Colorful|
For some reason the text of the result isn't part of the "post to LJ" code anymore so:
(EDIT: I had the result down here, but then decided to try to put it where it's supposed to be.)
This article was written over seven years ago. The past seven years of my life would've been SO much better if I'd known about it back then (and there was a way to use it on LJ entries and comments instead, or someone made a similar system for checking those)!
To celebrate, August 2017 is Matt1993 Nostalgia Month! (Okay, so that would also be an accurate description of basically any month from October 2015 to July 2017... but for August 2017, it's an even MORE accurate description!)
When I joined LJ nearly ten years ago, I never thought I'd be still on it for this long - especially given how I kept going on hiatuses from it until February 2009. I also never thought so many things would have changed since then, or that I'd be posting about so many new things since then.
I keep wondering what basically everything I've posted to LJ in 2009-2017 would look like to my 14-year-old or 15-year-old self (i.e. from the era when I wasn't that active on LJ and didn't think I ever would be).
Well, now that question will be sort of answered, because:
1. I'm changing my journal style back to Blue Gray (which is what I think I was using at first and had left as for... I'm not even sure how long; probably until early 2009 but MAYBE earlier) for a month, then will change it to Pale Yellows again at the end of the month. Though I'm leaving the journal title and subtitle as is because I don't remember what those were back in 2007 - and I decided that if I'm keeping those as is, I'll also leave in other anachronistic references such as the comment text being "# Doom 2 bad guys will come out of my ears"/"Rob Morrow to you!" :)
2. As those of you who've known me since 2009 know, five of my oldest userpics used to look different until I updated them late that year (and I don't think I had any userpics at all before 2009). Well, I'm temporarily changing those five userpics back to what they looked like in 2009!
( Back to the good old days! (I can't believe 2009 is “the good old days”...) )
3. And why stop there? If my newer userpics had also existed prior to November 2009 or so, some of them likely would've looked different back then, too - so I've taken what I call the "Super Mario Maker approach"
What would my journal and some of my comments have looked like if...
- that brief era when I played D&D had been at least a few months earlier
- I'd started watching The X-Files before 2010
- I'd had my first /crazymegavideo/ dream before 2010
- the Forbidden Comment Threads had happened at least a couple of years earlier, resulting in 2009 being during the four years or so of depression and angst they caused me
- and so on
...and therefore some of my userpics about these had been made when I was 15 instead of 16-22?
Let's find out!!
( Draconian userpic poink! )
It was fun using my 2008-2009 drawing/spriting styles once again in 2016-2017! Even if the old-style versions of the 7:97 and /crazymegavideo/ userpics don't sync up as well with the regular versions as I thought they would. :)
4. And, as if making ancient in-jokes look even more ancient wasn't anachronistic enough already, I'm even applying the same temporary changes to my DreamWidth account! This includes the same userpic changes, and... okay, not the SAME layout changes, because LJ and DW have different default layouts. Still, I figure if DreamWidth had existed in 2007 and I'd had an account on it back then, I probably would've used its default layout for nearly two years like I did on LJ, so I'm temporarily using that layout (Neutral Good) for a month. :)
(Before I actually make any of these changes, though, I'm going to make sure both the LJ and DW versions of this entry look okay - so my journals may or may not still be yellow when you see this.)
I've got some more ideas for celebratory posts as well, so stay tuned! :D
At age 24:
Nelly Bly made a solo trip around the world in less than 80 days for the New York World, beating Phileas Fogg's fictional record.
Radioastronomy grad student Jocelyn Bell Burnell observed an unknown signal from outer space; this resulted in the discovery of pulsars.
John Couch Adams became the first person to predict the position of a planetary mass beyond Uranus.
Johannes Kepler defended the Copernican theory and described the structure of the solar system.
Entrepreneur Ted Turner took over his father's billboard advertising business. He later launched CNN.
Tracy Chapman released her first album, winning three Grammies.
Scottish physician Mungo Park became the first European to reach the West African interior.
Edgar Allen Poe won a $50 prize for the story "MS. Found in a Bottle."
Noah Webster published a spelling book.
Isaac Pitman devised the first scientific shorthand system.
Security guard Frank Wills alerted D.C. police to the Watergate break-ins.
Rainey Fellows donated a kidney to her (now ex-) boyfriend. They aren't together now, but he's doing very well. They're still friends.
Helene got a high score of 170440 in the popular online game Robot Unicorn Attack.
Tasha looked into her five-year-old son's eyes and decided to leave her abusive husband. Then she beat the odds and didn't go back even once.
David Hosei started his ninth business, eFamily.
And also happy birthday to 13catswaltz, who has the same birthday as me! :)
And also also to Luigi - because Mario Bros. was released in Japan on July 14, 1983; my negative tenth birthday. ;)
Hey, there's an idea for a totally nerdy survey...
This page has a table (several paragraphs down from the beginning of that section...) that lists the dates every* Super Smash Bros. character debuted (because in SSB4, the order you fight them in All-Star Mode is based on that).
Use that to figure out your answers to these questions:
1) Which SSB character(s), if any, debuted on your birthday in any year?
2) Which SSB character(s) debuted closest to the date you were born?
Meta Knight (debuted March 23, 1993 - the date closest to July 14, 1993 in that list).
3) Which SSB character(s) debuted closest to the date you created your LiveJournal/DreamWidth/some-other-
My LJ was created on August 19, 2007 - the character whose debut was closest to that is Rosalina (November 1, 2007).
My DW was created on May 13, 2017, long after the debut of the newest character (Corrin, on June 25, 2015).
*Except Miis, alternate characters (the Koopalings and Alph), and characters from Melee and Brawl who aren't in SSB4. ( I went ahead and looked up the relevant dates in case you want to include them )
|Take the Personality Disorder Test --|
-- $linkText2 --
But WHY are you continuing to make me worry about everyone hating me for still liking/using/refusing to leave LJ? It's been nearly TWO MONTHS, and not one person has actually said "I hate you because you still like LJ", and I've actually met several new friends who are on LJ and not DreamWidth. So why are you still making me worry about it?! Anxiety, you're ruining my life!
.(egap eliforp no ofni erom ,niaga) stohsneercs ynnuf ym fo emos rof noitaripsni eht erew dna ynnuf yllaer era yeht ;(moc.rennurratsemoh no) tuo meht kcehc dluohs uoY .ekil eb lliw liam-E daB gnortS txen eht tahw gnirednow m'I ,won thgiR
Silly reference to my first entry ever aside, yes, I'm done copying all my LJ entries to DreamWidth! Well, except for community entries... and making sure that all of my entries copied over the way they're supposed to... I still have a long ways to go. My LJ was kind of a non-Euclidean mess already, and now I'm having to make sure that nothing looks too weird when it was transferred to DreamWidth. If you see anything that looks like it didn't copy over correctly, let me know.
Now I'm going to test to see what happens if I post a poll in a DW entry that gets cross-posted to LJ...
Which of these random non-video-game characters I picked off the top of my head would Bowser be most likely to try to kidnap?
Anya (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Arwen (Lord of the Rings)
Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Character 22 (mezzacotta)
Agent Einstein (X-Files)
Eowyn (Lord of the Rings)
Galadriel (Lord of the Rings)
Heart (Circle Versus Square)
Holly (Lightning Made of Owls)
Marzipan (Homestar Runner)
Meridien (Lightning Made of Owls)
Agent Reyes (X-Files)
Samantha (Lightning Made of Owls)
Agent Scully (X-Files)
Willow (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Dear owners/maintainers of _dreams_, add_me, asperger, corrupted_wish, goodbandnames, iwish, newfriends, omgrandom, randomthought, strongbademail, suggestions, synaesthesis, the_number_206, and even thequestionclub and ask_me_anything since I know I posted in at least one of those two (and also any community that I forgot I've posted in):
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMUNITIES UP AT LEAST UNTIL I HAVE EVERY ENTRY I POSTED IN THEM SAVED SOMEWHERE.
The sky is falling,
Before I create a DW account, though, I still have a few more questions:
- What happens to the userpics on my entries if I start having them be automatically copied over to DW before I upload the same userpics to DreamWidth? Will the keywords still be there so that if I upload userpics to DreamWidth with the same keywords, they'll show up where they're supposed to? (Does DW even use userpic keywords?)
- Can entries that are automatically transferred from LJ to DW be edited manually when they're on DreamWidth? Because I might have to if something in them doesn't get copied over.
- I want to backup my entries in my own journal AND my entries in LJ communities to DreamWidth so the latter won't be lost
- Which of the communities I mentioned do you think has the highest chance of being deleted anytime soon? That way I can start with those.
EDIT: Created my account on DW - my username is still matt1993. (Is there a way to link to a DW account from LJ or vice versa, like with the <lj> tag?) Anyway, I'm still setting up a lot of things on DW, but if I list you as a friend on LJ and I know your DreamWidth username, I added you there as well. If I didn't add you yet, then add me on DreamWidth and I'll add you back (if you have different LJ and DW usernames, tell me your DW username through LJ or vice versa). :)